Followers

Friday, October 14, 2011


My experience of the capacity development of school teachers especially in English and the particular approaches that I have found successful.


During working as a “Trainer (English)” I got a chance to observe the capacity development of the English teachers (Secondary School) staying very close to them. Sometimes their activities make me very optimistic and sometimes I suffer from pessimism also. Even though, the cloud of frustration melted at last and I could see the brilliant star that is “Development”.
I saw some teachers (English), who came to the training center in order to develop their potential skill on language teaching. I asked them about CLT. But the response was ‘silent room’. It seemed to me that I was alone, alone in the dark; dark training room where I was the only speaker and listener. But taking a lot of hope in my mind all the time I went forward. I vowed with myself for their development any how within the training period. As a result, the teachers who did not know CLT, Pair work, Group work, individual work, Chain drill, Choral drill, Monitoring, Elicitation and feedback (giving and receiving) after the training I observed severe change in them when I followed up their classes. Previously what they never did now a day they cannot go even a single class without the above mentioned points that require for a successful English class.
Sometimes I found some teachers who were trying to make the class more effective but only for the lack of some methods or techniques they couldn’t make it more interesting. Then after the class I gave them some relevant feedback or sometimes I took a ‘practice classes’ where they became an observer. After some days I went again to their classes and I could find a huge transition.
Sometimes I got some teachers (in the training center) who were aged enough and very often some young also. They seemed to me very traditional. They never wanted to come out from the shell of tradition. To them grammar- translation method is the best method. They never believe personal engagement, thinking, creating, enjoying and learning by doing in an English classroom. The practice of four skills for communication or learning English is totally beyond their imagination. I took their above beliefs as challenges. In the training center I practically showed them that the four skills and their principles are equally important for learning a language. I also showed them that language learning process cannot be done through threat rather learning through practical involvement is the best learning. Observing every things some times they changed themselves and some teachers remained the same. As a trainer it pained me much. But I never believed that it is their mistake rather than I think it is my failure to make them understand the real message of learning a language.

During following up the trained teachers classes I asked them about the most difficulties they were facing. The answer was large classroom and environment. Sometimes the teachers shared their experiences about the hindrances of the implementation of training. As they followed CLT approach their produced sound from the classroom. Other colleges of that specific teacher took it very seriously. They complained it to the Head teacher and the HM stopped or forbid the teacher taking the class following the CLT approach. However, many a times I myself went to the Head teachers and other teachers and made them understand about language learning process.   Sometimes I could manage sometimes not. But I did not stop my mission.
During my training life I applied several methods or approach in the training center. But to my observation CLT is the best approach I have ever found. In fine, as a ‘Trainer (English)’, I can see the brilliant future of our secondary teachers if we can ensure proper training no doubt the scenario of English of our country will change within short time.

Md. Nurunnabi
CoreTrainer
English in Action Project

No comments:

Post a Comment